Monday, August 04, 2008

My little kingdom



The above pictures of my grapevines are for Delicate Flower to see.


People blog about their everyday life, good restaurants to go to, new shoes to buy, office politics, vacations they take. All those gorgeous stuff that make people happy.

People say, once you retire from 9-5 working hours, you will be bored and restless and maybe depress. It did not happen to me. I took my retirement day by day. There was no hurry to get into anything.

Acquiring all those worldly goodies kind of slipped off too once i retired. There isn't any need to buy those branded items to wear or carry or show off. My dogs and chicken will laugh at me I guess if wear or use them. There isn't any pressure to dress up to show off or to brag about where I go to dine, whom I meet or where I go for vacations to keep up with the Joneses. Sound boring huh.

It does not take much to make me happy and contented. I love this little homestead that my husband and I carved. There is nothing much here when we bought it. Whatever we have now are tress and things we grow and create. There isn't much but when you build something with your own bare hands, they sure make you feel good.

My husband built little things for me to be closer to nature. The bird houses to watch what kind of bird come to live. The squirrel houses set up on the huge oak trees for the naughty creatures to keep warm in winter and of course the squirrel feeders and humming birds feeders.

We grow mimosa trees just so the humming birds can come and enjoy the flowers as well as the honey suckles along the fence. My husband also built a small garden patch next to the house so that i can grow my oriental herbs and plants for my kitchen (read: serai, cili api, kunyit, limau nipis, basil etc.)

I get enthusiastic when spring comes, when i get to grow my vegetables seriously. Not so much to eat, but just to see how things grow when you give a little love and care. As usual, I over do it. I plant rows and rows of them and in the end I give them away or just let them go back to fertilize the garden.

4 comments:

Delicate Flower said...

Ooo, those grapes look big!!Are those green seedless (thompsons?). Thank you for posting them, I feel honored :-)

Must be nice to live a quiet live. You are still young - plenty of time to enjoy your retirement, do whatever you please to be happy. I can only dream of that. . .For most of us, it's off to the rat race. With a 6 year old, I have a long way to go till retirement(that's what happens when you start late).

Kak Sal, why doesn't this blog allow me to sign up with my wordpress account?

Ezza Aziz said...

bila baca story akak kali ini,terfikir jugak masa depan yang bakal kami tempuhi tak lama lagi. Aziz ada 4 years more to go before pencen.saya nak kehidupan yang tenang dalam suasana kampung,dengar suara burung,kokokan ayam bila pagi mendatang,berbakti pada tanah yang sekangkang kera. Tak tau la.ada kah ini realiti atau fantasi????

Kak Teh said...

sal, next summer I am going to built a little pondok in my garden. Every morning I bangun tengok my neighbour's garden getting lovelier all the time with this and that, while mine is....what's the word? terbiar. BUT i must say the ferns and acers are doing very well - dah tinggi melangit.
Yours is looking beautiful indeed.

Oh - dengar khabar kaan kita di swindon beli tanah - dah jadi tuantanah orang tu!

Mutiara said...

DF. I don't know why either. I see anasalwa can sign in. she is using wordpress too. I am not that computer intelligent as i used to (do not keep up to date with the development)

Ezah. sure bolehnya duduk kampong aman damai.

KT. Let them grow ha ha ha. Wahhhh sakan kawan kita tu, nak berkampong kat Swindon dah gamaknya.