Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Birds having a party

Now I know why every morning when i open the door, i could hear birds singing and sound so happy. They are having an early wine party. They are partying on my grape vines. My grapes have ripen and ready for picking. So yesterday I went and look at them. Indeed they have, but i could not remember which is which, the seedless red Thompson or the black concord as they have twined together. The seedless Thomson has a lighter color and the concord is more purplish. Anyway, now I have them in my big basket. I have to separate them from the raisins though before I turn them into yummy juice.

I plan to turn the juice into jelly later on. For now I am drinking my very fresh grape juice, which is a little tart to the taste buds. I also have fresh tomato juice to drink as my tomato vines are loaded with big juicy ripe tomatoes. For those who have not tasted tomatoes grown and ripen on the vines in Oklahoma's hot summer sun, I cannot even try to describe how fantastic they taste. There is no comparison.

This afternoon while warming my leftover chicken soup, I thought of adding some dumplings into it. I have some round wrappers in the refrigerator, and some cheese plus the chicken meat from the soup. So while my chicken soup was warming up, I threw into the food processor some chicken meat, some onions and some of my squash. I added some ricotta cheese and made into balls and wrapped with the wrapper (wanton). Then i throw them into the boiling soup. They turn out to be tasty.

8 comments:

Chahya said...

hi, thanks for dropping by. After a quick browsing of your blog, i found that it's likeable and that we share some things in common. I'm adding your blog in my blogroll, if u dont mind.

Mutiara said...

You are welcomed.My blog is just an ordinary one, nothing brainy or thought provoking like some. i just blog to pass the time.

Kak Teh said...

sal, lama tak mai jenguk. London is so hot - macam malaysia! Rajinnya you dok masak...but you have always been clever at using products from the backyard. Take care.

Mutiara said...

Kak Teh
I pun lama tak visit your blog. Hope everything is fine with you.

Delicate Flower said...

Mutiara,

I used to live in Illinois and grew tomatoes - didn't realized how much fruits you could get out of one tree, let alone 16!! (Bought 4 packs of four I think and ALL turned out). I got the yellow and the orange kind too and they tasted so good! So I can imagine how your vine-ripened tomatoes taste like.

I loved to make salsa, and of course tomato sauce (with fresh basil - OMG, they are so fresh and deliscious). I also made tomato chutney and canned them - can you imagine, never in my life I thought I'd be canning fruits!
Now I don't really have a good place for vegetable garden, the fenced part of the backyard (the nice sunny part) has grass, and the unfenced part (slopy, not flat, and doesn't get sun all day) is reserved for Maggie the dog to run around.

Please post pictures of your grape vines.

Farizah

Delicate Flower said...

Sorry I meant to say delicious :-)

Ezza Aziz said...

kak sal,burung tu berkicau riang ria tu,kalau di translate kan bahasa burung tu agak nya dia kata..sedap nya anggur orang ni,pandai la makcik ni tanam..mari kawan2 kita nyanyi kan lagu terima kasih kat dia..hehehe tu la pasal depa dok berkicau pepagi tu...salam tuk BB

Unknown said...

Sal,
So now the birds have to go somewhere else for wine tasting eh? I'm like you too, always improvise, improvise in the kitchen.