Monday, June 20, 2005

Critters of my woods

Syyyysh...don't let Roo, Dumdum and Max hear about them. There are possums, raccoons, rabbits, armadillos, squirrels, tortoises, owls etc. that make their homes in my woods. They dug up holes to make nests, they live on the trees and they tunnels underground like those "tubes" in underground Londra. There are ghophers as well as moles. Every time after the yard/lawn is mowed, there would be little mountains came up dotting the yard.
Roo, Dumdum are good hunters, but Max who is supposed to be a sheep guard dog, is learning fast. So far Max has brought home tortoises and baby birds to play with. Once in a while Roo would let him play with the rat that she caught. Max is still fancinated by the growing hill that the gophers are kicking out from the ground. Max would bark, scratch and lastly dig up a big hole in order to get to the gophers. Gophers are smart and they have a network of tunnels underground and Max can dig up to Malaysia and never catch one.
I have never seen these critters before in my life until I moved here. I have seen some pictures of them of course, but have never really seen them "in person" hehehe. The first winter I was here there was alot of snow and one morning when i went out to sweep the snow off the deck, I saw these giant "footprints" along the house. I called out to my husband, and when he saw them, he said "who would be snooping around". I was worried. Actually my husband knew that those were rabbits prints, but just to make me nervous and teased me.
There was this loveable looking creature that look at you so harmlessly at night and it is white and furry and that I learn is a possum. Raccoon wears a mask and very furry too. It looks like a big cat and I was so sorry that one day Bubba (my old departed dog) brought home one.
Dumdum is a bird dog (Labrador retriever) yet I have never seen him caught anything in the air yet except a rabbit or too. Roo is another kind, an Anatolian sheperd, but she is everything. She could hunt and catch quails in the air, squirrels in the air and numerous other critters. She also killed 2 armadillos in one morning. Poor critters they are not very safe in my woods. Do you know that when you shine the flash light into the owl's eyes you can catch them. They would not know what was coming. Owls make eerie love calls at night and some nights they would be calling for hours.
Another kind of critters that come out at night that can scare you is the cayote. they are actullly harmless. they hunt only small animals, but their cry or howling they make, would scare you. Max is supposed to be a cayote killer. Cayote is scared of big white dog at night, but since Max is still a puppy, he is scared of them instead.

So, all critters that make your home in my woods, please hide when you hear three dog stomping into the woods in the morning and in the evening. You will be safe if you stay real quiet.

7 comments:

AuntyN said...

When I read this I dok terbayang binatang2 tu. So beautifully written, you can turn this piece into a book for children with illustration from a good artist. Ni dah bagi idea ni, kalau betui2 jadi kena bagi komisyen sikit tau, hehehe

Mutiara said...

AN: thanks
Puteri: kalau appreciate natur..mmg best
narfnarf: You are welcome. Mailah nu tengok org dok kampong...

Ely said...

ah ah, mrs beach, this is beautifully written. i memang dari dulu jeles betul tgk u duk kat ranch with many animals and they all roam outside.

for us, we also have racoons, dari datuk ke cucu racoon suma ada. kekadang dia naik kat fence and jenguk kat dlm bilik! terperanjat dibuatnya.

we also have a family of skunks and opossum, besides the cats and the occasional dog visits who pretend that they're lost and ate up all the cats dry food!

Skater Girl said...

I remember the last time, I saw a possum it was a female possum.. It was huge like a small puppy and I thought it was a wild pig.. since I live in a countryside area.. I never see possum before but this one came at night in mid spring.. I ran into the home and shouted for my husband.. He went out to check it.. then came into the house.. and laughing his ass off at me!!.. Anyway.. I don't like possums and moles, and huge lengthy spiders and ticks.. *eeeirrk*

atenah said...

waaaaaah, lawanya banner, teringat kat batu ferinnghi

Mutiara said...

Ayu: Sure mai during that time can celebrate my birthday...Please give me a call 405-9445378

Nazrah Leopolis said...

kak mutiara, please hug ayu for me. bawak tido bawah ketiak pun bagus.


this is a wonderful entry. macam nak ikut ayu je gi umah kakak.