Saturday, March 26, 2005

Things we take for granted pt.2

Actually my stay in Uzbekistan was an eye opener. It was a harsh country with harsh people. I first went there on a VIP ticket. Mind you there wasn't a first class in that aircraft. I can't remember what kind of aircraft that was, a russian made of course. When we arrived at Tashkent airport, the plane landed way out in the field. We had to wait for a long time for a transport to take us to the terminal building. While sitting in the aircraft, some people dressed in military uniform boarded the plane and shouted names to follow them. Mine was one of them. i was worried, but later found out, that holding a VIP ticket entitled me to ride in a van to the terminal building to go through the custom and immigration. I did not know how the rest of the passengers got to the terminal building. ( I found out later on my next trip).
It was a 6 hours flight, but it took 3 hours to clear customs and immigration. There wasn't any chair to sit on and we were all herded into a cage like place to wait, and wait and wait for the immigration to come and attend to us. After all was cleared, I went to meet the people who were waiting for me. There was a reception at 'my rented house' and i think all the people i was going to work with were there to welcome me. By then it was late at night, and very 'late' at night for people who originated east of Tashkent.
When i woke up the next morning, i could not find anything to eat or drink. i was scared to drink the tap water and i ransacked lastnight leftover and could not find a glass to drink from. The land lady had kept them away. the only glasses i found were fine czeck crystal glasses. There were many bowls though. I made tea and waited till it cools enough to pour into the fine crystals. later I discovered that people there drink tea in the porcelain bowls/tea cups. Coffee is only available in the balck market (learnt later).
The bathroom was alright, with the sitting bowl and the bidet. However, there was no toilet paper, the only paper I saw was brown paper cut into squares...later learnt that those were 'toiletpaper'.

to cont.

No comments: