Tuesday, March 22, 2005

When in Oklahoma, respect the weather!

Yesterday was the first full day of spring and we were greeted with a tornado just above our head. It was a fine day and rather cool for a tornado to spawn, but being in Oklahoma, anything can happen in tornado season. My husband and I went to town to put our important documents in our bank safe box in anticipation of bad weather in spring time. Well, little did we know that the critter was spawning right behind us. When we got home, I turned on the TV just to watch the usual programme and my husband wanted to take a nap. He always feel tired after a trip to town (psychologically). I was clicking away to find a channel to watch and there came a warning on the screen that a severe thunderstorm was rapidly developing in our county. I told my husband about that but he said, the most it would just be lightning since the temperature was not condusive for a tornado. The temperature was about 60F or 15C. The next minute, the warning came again as we were under tornado warning and a big wall cloud was moving northeast to our direction, the town of Cromwell. I yelled at my husband that the critter is moving towards us at 30 miles per hour. He got up and we picked our important stuff and went out to our underground cellar. the there were the chicken and the dogs. the chicken could take care of themselves, but my dogs would not. So i called all the dogs and put them into the cellar. They must be traumatised to be pushed into the cellar. The lighning begun and the rain started. Then we closed the cellar with a big bolt. Then came the hails as it hit the ground and the metal door of the cellar, it was so loud and we could hear nothing. The dogs got scared and hid under the bed. It was for about 3 minutes. Then My husband went up to look. The ground was covered with hail stones, as white as snow. the sun was bright again and we saw the back of the tornado. There was even a couple of rainbows. It just missed us by a mile or so. It hit the town of Cromwell but there was no casualty, only some structural damage. I am so thankful that I turned on the TV. I was planning to take a nap too, but I just thought I might watch some TV first.
So we in Oklahoma learn to respect mother nature. Tornados can spawn in a few minutes when the right ingredients are present.

1 comment:

atenah said...

wow like that movie with helen hunt hm? they even have what they call tornado chasers there. kuasa Allah jadikan macam2 and i think our experience should make us realize His power, teringat plak dorothy with her red shoes.