Sunday, March 27, 2005

Being home?

I am just catching up with Pok Ku's blog. Where is home? For a long time since I relocated to my present place, I used to refer to home being in Penang. Until not so long ago, I had been referring to my present home to my husband as 'your house'. My husband was always quick to correct me that this is my home too. It did not sink into my thick head that i hurt my husband's feeling for not accepting his humble abode as mine too. It was kind of hard to assume someone else's property as mine. I have been a career woman all my life, I earned what I have. I respect other people's possession and property. One day, My husband took me to the court house and made me signed on the dotted line that I am part owner of the property and the 300 acres mineral rights that is under his name. He rationalised it by saying that, it is the same thing, because in Oklahoma, when the husband dies, all property goes to the wife.
So, now I have 2 homes. I no longer go 'home' to Penang, instead I go visit my family in Penang. Indeed i no longer have a home in penang. My house is rented out and rumah pusaka is empty after my father died in 2003. My brother and sisters have their own homes. So, where is my home in Malaysia? On one trip visiting family by myself, I felt so lonely and I was ready to go 'home' to my husband. I understand that my family have their own lives to take care and I felt that one can feel lonely even in a family crowd. A week or so with them, would be fine because they could give their time and attention to you, but for a month?
I learnt that 'home' is where your heart is. Although I am away from my 'birth family' I am indeed closer to them without getting into each other's hair. We communicate very regularly, probably more regular than when i was in Malaysia. I now love my 'home'. I love what we have done to the place eventhough there are a lot of things need to be done on this homestead. This is my home now.

3 comments:

atenah said...

very true, mutiara, home is where the heart is. gee, how i wish i could visit yr homestead. may be we can visit when you next visit penang, i hope to be back by the 2nd half of next yr :)

AuntyN said...

Betui tu, Home where the heart is. It is nice though that you have 2 homes, here in Penang and there in Oklahoma. Kalau balik Penang habaq mai no, nanti aunty bagi contact. Entah2 kenai.

Bustaman said...

I agree. Home is where the heart is. My heart is still in Terengganu.