Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Faraway land

When I begun secondary school, my grandfather gave me a geometry box, a metal one. It was like something one must have to battle mathematics in secondary school. I can't recall what instruments were in the box, but I distinctively remember the picture on the lid of of the box. My best friend and I dreamed to go and study there one day. It was none other than the impressive building of Oxford University in UK. We did not get to go there, instead we went to University of Malaya to obtain our first degrees.
However, I did get to go to the UK for my post graduate degree after graduating from University of Malaya. I have forgotten about the picture on the geometry box until I came across it while cleaning my room prior to the trip to UK. I had to smile. I was going there after all. That was in the year of 1976.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I still remember, owning that metal geometry box is something that we are very proud off..

Kak Teh said...

mutiara!! at last you made it to bloggers' world!! Welcome!

Bustaman said...

Alas, instrument boxes now are from China and we dont see that English -made boxes too much now.

atenah said...

i remember that box, had 1 too, i always thought that it was magical