Thursday, February 03, 2005

The merantau bug

Young and invincible and bitten by the merantau bug. That was me before I decided to retire. Three years after my first trip to the UK for my first post-graduate degree, I got the itch to be going somewhere again. Managed to secure a Macee-Fulbright award, I packed again to go Hawaii. Was there 1981-1982. Made many friends there, but sadly only kept in touch with a few. They were big names and no names, (who made names later) that passed the East-West Center in Honolulu. A great place to work.
Let me get organize alittle bit. I am lost after the above paragraph. I am trying to condense all my travels and sojourn into one piece of neatly packaged write up.
I have travelled all over the globe to satiate my craving for different places and cultures. I ventured out to places that not many people wanted to be in many circumstances. I went to Berlin just after the the Berlin wall came down with some still intact in many places. I went to Uzbekistan, just after it broke away from USSR. Call it naive or plain stupid, but i got the itch to go to these places before they change.
That is not bad huh for a girl came from a kampung. Thanks to my grandfather who had the vision to send me away to a boarding school way down south. Since then, there was no turning back.
Now, see where I ended up...in the boonies in the of southern plains in a town population 265.


4 comments:

Kak Teh said...

mutiara, this is just the beginning. I think you must tell us abt the time you took on the Arab bus driver when you went on the Haj! Its hilarious.

atenah said...

a hah so kak teh and mutiara are buddies lah ye....sapa lagi buddies nih? atiza and lollies. ok i'm the only faceless one

Kak Teh said...

sal, i posted a commentyesterday but it didn't appear. Just wanted to tell u that kak nab is ini town and leaving tomorrow. Dia kirim salam.

Iskandar Syah Ismail aka DR Bubbles said...

kak mutiara,

tell us! tell us! tell us! phleezeee!