Friday, March 21, 2008

How many ways do you eat your cottage cheese

I was introduced to cheese eating when i was still young. My grandfather used to buy them whenever he went shopping at the one and only cold storage in Penang. That was way back in the 50's and 60's. The cheese and butter came in those gold colored cans that I can't remember the brand. It is called iceberg or something. I also remember my father liked melted cheese on his roti bangali but my mother did not like even the smell of it especially when she was pregnant.

Later in that period of time, the cheese and butter were hard to come by and my grandfather did not make many more trips to the cold storage as the estate he was managing had changed ownership. So, I think after the early 60's we did not eat 'western' anymore. Then there was planta margarine.

When I was studying in London circa 70's I hated having to pass the cheese department of Sainsbury on Holloway road to get to the bus stand on Seven Sisters road. The smell could give me a bad headache. I did like the soft cheese and gouda or edam. Back in Malaysia, I could not find any decent cheese to eat. There was cheddar from Australia that sucks and tasted like fermented rubber, so I quit eating cheese.

When I was in Hawaii in the 80's I found that American cheese are yummy. Found that their cottage cheese is not like those imported from Australia. (probably very old imported stock that are sold in Malaysia).

I like to eat cottage cheese in a variety of ways. When I was in Uzbekistan, I bought cottage cheese by the bucket (that was how it was sold then) from the 'secret farmer' who kept his cows and operation hidden from the authority. I ate it in salad, I ate it with salt and pepper, I ate it with home made preserved fruits etc. because that was the only luxury food i could find then. I bought home churned butter too to eat with pon their kind of bread.

My husband eats his cottage cheese with pineapple chunks sprinkled with salt and black pepper for breakfast. I eat mine with cocktail fruits and nuts. I also eat it with sliced fruits sprinkled with salt and pepper. I have yet to try eat it with shrimps.

7 comments:

maRLinda said...

Salam kak sal.
Lama sungguh tak leave a comment here. :)
Saya tak makan cottage cheese, tapi kalau dpt ricotta, saya suka makan with home made rhubarb jam..
Cottage cheese pon bulih makan lagu tu jugak kot no...

Mutiara said...

Alaikum salam Marlinda. Singgah lah sekali sekala. Boleh lah kot, nanti saya try dgn my home made plum or blackberry or peach jelly/jam. last year stock

Ari said...

Sorry doesn't know what cottage cheese is until force to surf by your blog!I love cheese but it is quite expensive here in Malaysia.

Mutiara said...

Ari
I think cottage cheese is almost equivalent to soft tofu or tofu fa. I guess you can try eat tofu fa with canned mixed fruits or fruit cocktail. I do that from time to time.

Unknown said...

Sal,
Have you tried pancake with cottage cheese? . Sometimes I add cottage cheese to pancake batter. But I have weird taste buds, so pay me no mind.
Last week I had sardines over polenta. I wrote about it in food blog, Smoke In My Kitchen.

Mutiara said...

ana
I sure will try that, sounds yummy.

Anonymous said...

can i noe where to get ricotta cheese and fontina cheese in kuala lumpur... pls.. m planing to bake chicken lasagna and i need these two cheese... whr to get em? pls reply