Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Of being cheap

I buy fruits when they are cheap. i eat fruits like they are my staple. I buy fresh pineapples when the price is at $1.50 a piece (regular $3.85). I buy a few of them. I buy papayas when it costs 28 cents per pound (regular at $1.28). Buy a few green ones. I buy strawberries when it is $1.50 a box (regular $2.98). Nope they are not those wilting either. they are just the overstock that walmart have.

I change my taste of fruits according to seasons. I eat plenty of mangoes (from central America) when they are 4 to a dollar. I get plenty of them because mangoes are one of my favourite. i eat plenty of seedless grapes in winter when walmart import them from Chile, those big juicy black grapes for only 98 cents a pound rather than buy California grapes for $2.98 a pound.

Now I am eating plenty of strawberries big juicy ones at $1.28 a pound. I have boxes of them in my refrigerator. I eat them with cream cheese with sugar and whipped cream or dipped in Hershey's chocolate. I top my ice cream with them as well.

This year all my fruit trees are void of fruits due to the late freeze we had in late April. The only thing I see growing in my woods are wild grapes that bounced back and a few wild plums. My "commercial table grapes" are gone. Not a single leaf left on the vines. i hope they will not die.I am not too sure with my blackberries. i saw a few buds, and that's about all. I may not have any blackberries this year.

Well, walmart have all the fruits i can eat cheap, so i do not have to pine for my home grown fruits this year.

5 comments:

Alinlai said...

sedapnya semua buah2 tu...kat sini mahal :( kecuali buah pelam tu la :)

Unknown said...

Sedap je gaya AM describe tu.. nyum nyum nyum...

Akuro ® said...

Biasala, dapat yang murah n sedap, watpe nak beli yang mahal kan? Terliurnya...

Lee said...

Hello Mutiara, I love fruits too. I can clear half a bunch of grapes, those dar red seedless ones one sitting, then wallop an apple, later couple of oranges, especially when watching tv.
But I especially love those Thai or Vietnamese jambus, bigger than tennis balls. I slice into 5 pieces, sprinkle some salt and much away...
Oh ya, I happen to to experiment planting a Hawaiian papaya plant in my solarium in a pot, and today I have a bonzai size papaya tree, about 4 feet high.....imagine when snowing outside I see my papaya tree, oh ya a a pineallple plant too in a pot...feels like in the tropics.
I planted jambu seeds, but so far nothing yet.
You have a nice day, Mutiara......oh yes, when you balek Penang, I bet you go attack the rojak stalls, huh? Ha ha.
Take the ferry, enjoy the sea breeze. UL.

AuntyN said...

Kak Sal, kat rumah kami la ni banyak durian & rambutan, tapi semuanya menjadi rezeki tupai ajelah. yang kami dapat makan tu sikit sangat. Ciku pun macam tu. Kesian my doter Syia yang selalu dok tunggu durian luruh nak makan hehehe.