Sunday, October 18, 2009

Things do get old

Things do get old rather quickly or it is just with me. I remember I was excited the first year I moved here. I was surprised to say the least that there were dirt roads or unpaved roads all over the country, just outside the cities. I was so surprise to experience the first Fall, when the trees turn into beautiful colors, yellow, red, brown and dark wine. I went to pick native pecan and walnuts by the road side and at a neighbor's ranch. They were everywhere, littering the dirt roads, nobody cared nobody picked as every one's yard has a tree or two. I made my husband stop by the roadside to pick persimmons that were ripening on the trees. The fruits on the bare trees look so inviting and I picked a bunch of them.

After years of seeing that many fall seasons, these things that excited me only 10 years ago, had somehow diminishing. They are just there year after year, but I still look forward for the changing of colors on the trees, though not in the same degree of excitement.

It was fun to sit by the fire in winter playing scrabble and cracking pecan, but I find that they get old after years of doing the same activity. I no longer crack pecans, as I now send them to the place where they have machine to do it.

It was fun to see deer in the back yard and along the road, but they are now more of a nuisance than an awe. I learn to stop the car when I see one crossing the road, because there would be a few more following behind, just running as fast as they can.

It was awesome to see a flock of turkey hundred of them crossing the road, paying no attention to you in your car, but now they are not anymore. You have to stop your car and let them cross and if you are lucky, they would fly over your car and drop poops.

Well, maybe, it is just me that is getting old.

4 comments:

MA said...

Kak Sal: Maybe you need a change of environment? How about living 6 months in the US and another 6 months back home in Malaysia?

Just a thought lah...:D

Ezza Aziz said...

Saya setuju!!!

Kak...fikir fikir kan lah apa yang MA tulis ni...hehehe

Mutiara said...

MA and Izah
That is not a bad idea. If we can swap homes it would be fun. It would be real good if I do not have a home and family (my animals)to consider. Just pack and leave. I would like to choose the coziest house by the beach or a cute little cottage in the Swiss alps or a neat house in Andorra or the Pyrenees etc. Still I think, it is better here than the hot humid and rainy somewhere else.

MARIA said...

Pepatah Melayu kita : 'Lain ulu lain parang, lain dulu lain sekarang'. Hidup pasti berubah samada mahu atau tidak...kita tetap merelakan apa saja takdir yg datang, sesungguhnya Allah telah menentukan hidup kita. Segala usaha terbaik yang kita lakukan sememangnya buat diri kita sendiri dan keluarga.

Kita tetap berusaha lebih gigih demi mengejar kebahgiaan yang kita impikan. Kita harus mara dan terus pandang ke hadapan dengan berbekalkan sekeping hati yang cekal dan tabah. Tak kiralah walau dimana kita berada.

Truly...I can see from those words, ur really happy..!!!! AM !, I'll pray for u always.