Thursday, August 06, 2009

Roo and the visits to the doctor

Roo has been with us since I first came to live in Oklahoma. She was my puppy, big brown eyes and very pretty. Lately she has been infected with all kinds of skin diseases. Her skin and coat became flaky after winter and after the flakes formed, the clump of hair would fall off leaving red spots.

I took her to the vet and after some antibiotics, she seemed to have improved. Two days ago her leg got bitten by something and it was swollen. i thought it could be a snake bite, so i thought she would get better after a benadryl and antibiotic, but when i return from town the two tiny holes have became big and oozing bloody flesh.

I called the vet and immediately took her to the animal hospital. We suspected she was bitten by a brown recluse spider which is very poisonous. The poison rots the flesh and it can be deadly. By now the wound has become big and the skin had rotted. The Vet gave her a very strong shot of penicillin and antibiotics. She came home groggy and slept all day. After the medicine booster, she was given so many pills for the last 2 days. She is to visit the Vet again on Friday.

Although it makes my wallet slimmer, I would do anything to save my first friend here. She was the one who listened to me when i was homesick, sad, bewildered. She would sit by me and with her head tilted, listened to me, watched me shed some tears and be there for me. We would sit at the back porh, me on the top stairs and she at he bottom, just being together.

Both of us are getting old together, I know I would miss her when she has to go. In dog years, Roo is 70 years old, a wise dog.

I love you Roo

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sal,
I'm sorry to hear about your Roo. It must be hard to let her go when the time comes.

Mrs. Green said...

*hug*

MARIA said...

I send u love from Alam Damai KL and give you a big *hug*.

Mutiara said...

Ana: I am not looking forward to the day when she has to go

Mrs. G. Hugs

Tokma: tq.

Unknown said...

I may have missedd it, but no photo of Roo?