Monday, October 02, 2006

of Puasa and ikan Masin

I don't know why, ikan masin is like a must in Ramadan. Before Ramadan begun, I went shopping for all Ramadan stuff, ie food. They include dried fish, cuttle fish, dried shrimps, dried soya bean curd, fish balls and all the herbs. Foer the sweets , it was nata de coco, sago pearls and palm sugar.
Well, back to ikan masin. I have a few types, ikan gelama masam/kering (ikan glamour to some) anchovies of different sizes. So, after a few days of fasting, i embarked on frying the ikan gelama masam. That wasa a BIG mistake, no a HUGE mistake. Not only it sent my husband out of the house, it nearly made me fainted. Moved the frying pan out on to the deck and i guess if I have close neighbours, I swear all of them would be out, thinking there must be some gas leak somewhere. it took almost 2 days before the house smell ok again despite air freshner etc.
However, when I ate it with sauted onion rings and fried dried cayene, poooh, i forgot the torture i had to go through. I ate on the deck by the way.

5 comments:

Kak Teh said...

Sal, I still have a precious piece of ikan kering yang lembab dan basah yang kalau goreng dengan bawang and cili dan makan dengan nasi panas di atas beranda - mak mertua lalu pun tak sedar. Nak kena jimat until my next trip to China Town.

Alinlai said...

he he he klasik sungguh, tapi kan kalau dpt pekasam bulan2 posa ni lagggiiiiiiiiii sedapkan? nasi panas2...perghhhh

Mutiara said...

Kak Teh...precious ooo benda2 macam tu. Tu yg best, tangan berbau lama, lagi cium, lagi hmmmm

alinlai..kalau ada pekasam, terangkat rumah agak nyer

0untypicalme0 said...

i am a 30 yr old female and living in a flat in singapore.

i like reading your blog & would choose a life like yours if i had another life.. :)

Mutiara said...

umuchoya: thanks for visiting my blog.