Saturday, December 03, 2005

The dream

A day before hari Raya, I got this message from an old friend who was desperately trying to reach me. She had no choice but to register as a member of rantauan.com in order to reach me. She wanted to keep in touch after such a long time. She gave me her e mail address and I immediately contacted her. I also told her about my blog and after reading my blog, she said that i should continue to write and write about all those travels that I made with her and others.

That brought back all the memories of my younger days gallavanting all around the globe.
I was with her in Istanbul, Turkey in the 1980's and what fun we had getting lost in that city. How excited we were when we saw "macDonald" and we thought we found 'civilization' after we had been having the local fares all week long. We were to be disappointed, for the burgers were not of beef, but of kambing and not to my delicate tastebuds. In Istanbul too we met a fellow malaysian, who was a prominent figure in his field. We met him in the elevator/lift of the hotel were staying, a grand 5* hotel. He assumed that we were Filipinas...then he heard us talking in melayu and he asked us "were u speaking malay?" we said of course. he was surprised that 2 malay girls roaming around istanbul. he insinuated that we were of 'bad' characters riding up and down the elevators in a 'grand hotel". We were mad and when we told him that we were not just girls visiting the hotel, we were staying at the hotel and my dear friend at that time was already a surgeon. I guess that put him in his place. We ignored him after that.

There was another experience in Innsbruck, that got us into stitches. We were so hungry for asian food, and one evening we saw this direction to a chinese restaurant that boast of having laksa penang on its menu. My friend and i were excited, we were prepared for the very 'fake" penang laksa, janji laksa, but we were not prepared for the ambiance of the place. The whole place scared the **** out of us. It was painted in black and red and have those ghostly chinese characters. We ran down the stairs and went have a kebab instead.

well, that's it for now..will cont later

2 comments:

AuntyN said...

Kak Sal, have been tellin you to compile your stories into a book, They are interesting read. If you don't need the money from the royalties, dermakan kat kami semua ni. Kan tabung Ayam tu ada :-), :-)

Cherry said...

First few times dropping by yr blog but really first time dropping a comment. Interesting read, I got one similar experience, met a Malay Man in a hotel lift in the US. He did say similar thing to me and my friend. My friend told him off by saying we're both PhD students, when in fact we're both on our Junior yrs ... yak pi dia.