Friday, June 03, 2005

First balckberry pie of the season

Yesterday afternoon Roo and I went to pick blacberries in the woods. Roo was just to keep me company and of course when we were in the woods she went to do her things. I don't know what things dogs do, but she surely went away for a while. Then she came back and lay down by the tree. I picked about a basketful of them juicy berries and came home thinking what was I going to do with the berries. I can't eat all of them. I can make them into juice and freeze it or i can make myself a pie. At this moment I am still contemplating the pie. Will tell if it does materialize.

Here is the blackberry pie recipe

FYI I cheat, I bought ready made pie shell from the store and ready made pastry as well.
However I get this recipe for standard pastry.

Flour 2 cups
Salt 1 teaspoon
shortening, chilled 2/3 cup
cold water about 6 tablespoons.

Sift flour and measure
Add salt and sift again
Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in half shortening thouraghly until mixture resembles coarse corn meal. Cut in remaining shortening coarsely or until particles are the size of peas.

**** Can use food porcessor

Sprinkle water, one tablespoon ata time and mix dough with fork. Do not stir. Use enough water to hold the pastry together. use plastic or wax paper to press together gently into a ball. Chill dough.

Blackberry filling
Sugar 3/4 to 1 cup
Flour, 3 to 4 Tablespoon
Salt, 1/8 teaspoon
4 cups of well washed and drained berries
Use more or less sugar if needed
Butter 2 Table spoons
Lemon juice 2 tablespoon

Pre heat oven 425F

Roll pastry as underscrust to fit 9" pie pan
Combine sugar flour and salt.
Spread this mixture over pastry lined pan
Add the blackberries and sprinkle the left over mixture over the berries.
Sprinkle lemon juice and dot with butter.

Roll, fit and seal the upper crust...or make into strips and lay pastry strips in a lattice pattern over the pie.

Try lah.

6 comments:

Kak Teh said...

dont eat them all, it'll make you run! any chance of fedexxing the pie?

atenah said...

mutiara, you need to put up pictures leeee. i baca yr entry on spring time i terbayang2 kampung you too.

Sunfloraa said...

Can I have a slice of the pie pleasssseeeeeeeeeee.

AuntyN said...

Nak pie tu jugak, awat lah kejam sangat ni....
Kalau tak nak bagi, bubuh resepi tu sini OK?

Ely said...

Kak sal, this is ely. wah nice recipe, boleh lah i suruh my daughter bake it for me hehehe. visit my blog eh http://elysplace.blogspot.com

Mutiara said...

Kak Teh: I know what you mean. It would be nicer if we can sit on the tikar in my yard and eat it together. The present one is gone, i can make more.
atenah: I dunno how to load pics.
sunflora: Mai lah sini, kita jamu selera bersama
AN:Resipi ada di bawah
Ayu: Offer remain open all the time
Ely: thanks for visiting and glad to see here. maknenek is in the blog community too.