Saturday, February 19, 2005

Roo

Roo is a special female Anatolian shepherd. She got the name Roo because I thought she was an Australian shepherd, thus Roo, short for kangaroo. She is a real blonde. Very unpredictable and very lovable. She may look very pretty for a shepherd, but she can be very protective towards whom she is protecting.
One morning she brought home a screaming deer bigger than her. On other occassions she brought home a quail, numerous rabbits, a squirrel, a possum and other critters. Rats and mice and gophers are not safe too. Roo would dig a trench just to get to a gopher. She is my girl. I love her very much. She was picked for me by my husband from a big litter. She was the smallest and timid one in the litter. She was a Xmas puppy and we brought her home on a cold snowy morning. She was so timid that she did not move in her box for the whole night. She did not cry and refused milk. We had to put her next to Bubba to give her some company and not to feel lonely. A few days after that she started to relax but still would not get into her house.
Now Roo is a grown dog of 4 years old, very maternal and very protective of her domain. She would protect Max from the roosters and any other harm. She would keep the chicken in the yard and would make sure they do not stray outside the gate. She knows how many chicken we have and would make sure that they are all in the coop at the end of the day. If one is missing, she would go around the yard looking for it until she is satisfied that all are in for the night.
Once I had a fall in the back garden, she immediately came to my side, sniffed me and sat beside me for a while. Then I asked her to go get my husband, she ran to the house and barked on the deck and ran back to me. She did that a few times, but my husband did not know what was happening. Later, I got up and held on to her and managed to walk home. I told my husband that the next time Roo come running home barking, something is not right.
That is my dog Roo. My friend and protector.

No comments: